Below are a few resources that provide insight into our primary theoretical tradition, as well as important experimental methodological information. These resources should be readily available online or in university libraries.
Ernest Becker Foundation
A great website containing a forum & media related to the works of Ernest Becker & TMT. Check out the audio lectures by Sheldon Solomon!
Directed by Patrick Shen and narrated by Gabriel Byrne, Flight from Death is a seven-time Best Documentary award-winning film which points to existential concern as a possible root cause of many of our behaviors on a psychological, spiritual, and cultural level.
Readings in Existential Psychology:
Click the links to download the pdfs or to buy the book
- Vail, K. E., & Routledge, C. (2020). The science of religion, spirituality, and existentialism. Elsevier: Academic Press.
- Vail, K. E., Juhl, J., Arndt, J., Vess, M. K., Routledge, C., & Rutjens, B. T. (2012). When death is good for life: Considering the positive trajectories of terror management. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 16, 303-329.
- Greenberg, J., Koole, S. L., & Pyszczynski, T. A. (Eds.). (2004). Handbook of experimental existential psychology. Guilford Press.
- Routledge, C., & Vess, M. (Eds.). (2018). Handbook of terror management theory. Elsevier Academic Press.
- Becker, E. (1962). The Birth and Death of Meaning: A Perspective in Psychiatry and Anthropology. New York: Free Press of Glencoe.
- Becker, E. (1973). The Denial of Death. New York: Free Press.
- Fromm, E. (1941). Escape from freedom. New York: Owl books.