Operation STEM targets primarily first-generation, underrepresented STEM majors and provides them with a 2-week Summer Institute to help establish a community of peers.
In addition, each semester STEM Peer Teachers (SPTs) provide the Scholars and fellow students three (3) weekly, 50-minute mandatory supplemental learning sessions known as SPT sessions in the Precalculus and Calculus courses.
OPSTEM Scholars also receive mentoring and individualized attention needed to help ensure successful completion of their STEM degree. Watch the video below to learn more.
The program components:
- A Two-Week, 8-Day Intensive Summer Institute
- A Community of Peers
- First Year Semester Stipends
- Tuition-Free Summer Calculus Scholarship
- STEM Peer Teacher (SPT) instruction, mentoring and individualized attention
- Precalculus and Calculus SPT Sessions
- One-on-One Tutoring/Office Hours/Math Learning Center
- STEM Speaker Presentations
- Enrichment Workshops
- Faculty Mentors
Goal of Operation STEM
Increase the number of students to successfully complete the Precalculus I to Calculus II sequence and graduate with a STEM degree.