Please refer to the catalog for detailed course descriptions http://catalog.csuohio.edu
This track is designed for students interested in health-related careers but who are uncertain which profession they prefer at this time. Students work with an adviser to design an Area of Emphasis reflecting their particular interests and the skills required for the kinds of positions they wish to pursue. While students can choose many of their courses, the General Interest track requires student complete a minimum number of bench and social science courses to give them a broad foundation in the health science field. Students may also choose to complete a certificate during their course of study. The certificate programs include the Gerontology Studies Certificate, the Certificate in Culture, Communication and Health, Health and Wellness Coaching and the Bioethics Certificate. This track has identified pre-approved electives and areas of study (link to areas of emphasis recommendation) though it is critical to meet with an advisor to design a curriculum that will help the student prepare for their career of choice.
In addition to the above approved course series, students must complete the Capstone Requirement. These credits will be applied toward the Area of Emphasis.
CORE - THREE COURSES
- HSC 200 - Introduction to Health Sciences (waived for Tri-C and Lakeland 2+2 students and Post-Baccalaureate students in General Interest Track)
- HSC 203 - Medical Terminology
- HSC 305 - Culture and Health Care
CHOOSE ONE COURSE
- PHL 240 - Health Care Ethics or
- PHL 440 - Moral Reasoning and Bioethics or
- PHL 441 - Clinical Issues in Bioethics
CHOOSE ONE COURSE
- STA 147 - Statistical Concepts with Applications or
- STA 347 - Applied Statistics or
- PSY 217 - Behavioral Science Statistics: Description or
- PSY 317 - Behavioral Science Statistics: Inference
AREA OF EMPHASIS
REQUIRED SCIENCE COURSES - 16 CREDITS
- Students must choose 16 credits from the approved list of science courses.
REQUIRED SOCIAL SCIENCE COURSES - 12 CREDITS
- Students must choose 12 credits from the approved list of social science courses.
AREA OF EMPHASIS ELECTIVES - 20 CREDITS
- Choose 20 credit hours of electives from the approved list.
CAPSTONE - CHOOSE ONE COURSE
All students completing a BSHS major must complete a capstone experience and the exit evaluation.
- HSC 410 - Evidence Based Practice or
- HSC 440H - Honors Cooperative Education Career Experience or
- HSC 484 - Advanced Research and Writing in Health Sciences or
- HSC 486 - Cooperative Education Career Experience or
- HSC 487 - Community-Based Participatory Research and Health
EXIT EVALUATION - ONE COURSE
- HSC 499 - Exit Evaluation